Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I conquered Croagh Patrick

This past Saturday Hannah and I had the opportunity to climb Croagh Patrick. For those of you who don’t know what Croagh Patrick (commonly known as, The Reek) is, it is a mountain near Westport in County Mayo, Ireland. It is the site of an annual pilgrimage on the last Sunday in July, known as Reek Sunday. Over 15,000 pilgrims climb Croagh Patrick this Sunday praying the whole way up and the whole way down. Many people even climb the mountain barefoot. I can’t imagine going barefoot! There isn’t a paved path, just rocks upon rocks upon rocks that slip out under your feet when you walk on them. It is a little dangerous, especially at the steep parts, but it was so unbelievably rewarding!

Claire, my mom’s cousin, who I visited last weekend, picked up us from the bus station on Friday night. Our plan was to spend the night at Claire’s house and then Saturday morning venture off to conquer The Reek. Since Hannah’s 21st birthday was September 20th, the previous Tuesday, Claire put up a “Happy Birthday” banner and made her a cake. She is so nice!I felt so guilty when Hannah’s sister Moira asked if she got a cake for her birthday because I totally forgot about it. This made up for it a little; however, I promised Hannah I would make her a cake and surprise her with it.

That night, Hannah and I went to bed early to prepare ourselves for our hike on Saturday. The next morning Claire made us a hearty breakfast, and we were off. It was an hour drive from Claire’s house, plenty of time for my nerves to kick in. As we approached Westport, Claire told to look out the window. My heart dropped. The mountain was huge. I don’t know what I was expecting, but to actually see it for myself made my butterflies really flutter. I know it is nothing compared to Mount Kilimanjaro, the volcano my Uncle John and cousin Liam climbed this past year, but I was prepared for a little scenic tour on a paved path, not actual mountain climbing. Hannah and I just look at each other silently. Seeing her expression, I guess my description to her of what Croagh Patrick was like wasn’t very accurate.

Once we arrived at Croagh Patrick, Claire and her sister-in-law, Francis, gave us walking sticks.I underestimated how important these pieces of wood were at the time. This was Claire’s third time climbing Croagh Patrick, while everyone else’s first. Francis kept setting a time for herself to do it, before she turned this age, before this year, etc. Now, she can finally say she did it!After a quick bathroom break, it was time to climb. There was a set of stairs leading to the path that we climbed to begin our journey. At the top of the stairs, Hannah and I just stared at each other again, panting. I knew we were off to a bad start right then and there.

Here are a few tips I found that might make anyone’s climb on Croagh Patrick more enjoyable:

1. Train. Either walk or run a few times a week for about two months before your climb. The only thing that benefited me on this climb was my age. If I was 40, in the same shape as I am now and tried to climb Croagh Patrick, I don’t think it would have ended well.

2. Wear hiking boots. Gym shoes are okay, but rocks slip out under your feet, which makes it difficult to climb.

3. Bring tissues.

4. Wear sunglasses. I think everyone should wear sunglasses outside to prevent wrinkles, or maybe my mom has just told me that piece of advice time and time again that I’ve heard it so many times it has become my own advice. I guess I’m growing up more and more like my mom each day.

5. Wear a light rain jacket. You can take it off and on as it rains and stops and rains again, but definitely bring one.

6. Bring a small backpack filled with a couple bottles of water and some snacks. Claire, being the veteran Croagh Patrick climber she is, came prepared. Once you reach the top, you are so hungry and thirsty. You need a little boost to help you climb back down.

7. Climb with someone, preferably someone you feel very comfortable with. This way you can complain as much as you like and not feel guilty holding them back if you want to take a break.

8. Take breaks along the way. You will find that only extremely serious climbers go all the way without stopping. Everyone else takes breaks. It also gives you a chance to see the scenery.

9. Take in everything around you. It is truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.Take pictures, even though they don’t do it justice.

10. At the end, thank God that you made it.

Now, I must say that Hannah and I did pretty well. The average time to climb up and down the mountain is between 3-5 hours. Hannah and I took 4 hours, 2.5 on the way up and 1.5 on the way down. Twenty minutes into our climb, we saw a 65-year-old man walking barefoot, smiling. Hannah and I didn’t complain the whole rest of the climb. After 2.5 hours, we made it.I have never been more content in my life. It wasn’t as hard as I imagined it to be; however, ignorance is bliss. If I ever climb Croagh Patrick again, knowing what I know now, it might be a tad more difficult. It was truly one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. I was so proud I accomplished my first mountain. Mount Kilimanjaro, 2012? I’m just kidding! But after Croagh Patrick, I know feel confident in saying, “Maybe one day I will climb Mount Kilimanjaro (after months and months of training, of course).”

That night, I slept so great! I was definitely sore the next day, but it was more than worth it. I guess that’s all. This weekend Hannah and I are going with her aunt and uncle around different parts of Ireland. I know Hannah is excited to see her family after coming with me to see my family weekend after weekend.

Love, Molly

P.S. There is a little church at the top of Croagh Patrick where there is mass every so often.Hannah said, “That is one time I would not judge anyone who comes in late, sweaty, or out of breath.” I agree with her.

Croagh Patrick

I made it!

Well actually, we made it!

From the top of Croagh Patrick

Just to give you an idea of what the trail looked like

2 comments:

  1. Awesome pics! Although, I saw then on facebook already. Anyway, I want to go back and climb the whole thing some day. When I went before, we just walked up a little bit. Let's skype sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, Molly...It's Maggie and me again. Great story especially about the sunglasses. You are getting to be more like your mom everyday. Say hi to Hannah (even though I don't know who she is.) She must be a good friend to be living with you for the next 4 months. You will have to introduce her to me upon your return.

    ReplyDelete